Parasites enter the human body through various ways, including food, water, infections, inhalation and sexual contact. They are most commonly seen in children, but they can also be found in adults.
Even though there are thousands of parasites that attack the human body, only five of them are extremely harmful. These five are:
• Round worms: These worms enter the body either through undercooked meats and contaminated foods, or through contact with your pet’s faeces. Round worms live in the stomach and intestines of humans.
• Tape worms: Tape worms enter the body through undercooked meats like beef, fish or pork and live in the lower intestinal tract. Tape worms are most commonly found in children.
• Pin worms: These spread from person to person as they are lightweight and can become airborne. They live inside the intestinal tract and lungs, but they lay eggs around the anus. This causes itching and enables them to spread to wherever the person touches next.
• Heart worms: These are rare and tend to live in the lungs and the heart. Heart worms spread through mosquitoes.
• Hook worms and thread worms: These are found in contaminated water and they enter the body through the soles of the feet. They usually enter through open wounds but they are rarely found in human beings.
Symptoms of parasitic infestation
Stomach pain, diarrhoea, dysentery, weight loss, fatigue, passing a worm in your stool, palpitations, loss of appetite, anaemia, facial swelling around the eyes and itching around the rectum are some of the most common symptoms of parasitic infestations.
It is advised that you seek medical attention to get rid of these worms, however in addition to the conventional treatments, there are few home remedies that can help you get rid of these parasites, and prevent them from entering your system.
Coconut: Eating coconut fruit or virgin coconut oil at breakfast helps get rid of intestinal worms.
Papaya seeds: A study by the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine and Maryland Medical Center shows that eating papaya seeds with honey clears stool of parasites.
Garlic: The strong antiseptic and anti fungal properties of garlic make it an effective remedy against intestinal worms.
Wormwood tea: Drinking wormwood tea is known to paralyze and kill the worms. It is advised that you drink wormwood tea in moderation, and people with medical conditions, and pregnant or breast feeding mothers should avoid this remedy.
Black walnut: The laxative effect of black walnut helps cleanse the body of parasites.
Pumpkin seeds: A mixture of pumpkin seeds with water consumed the first thing in morning can help get rid of the parasites.