As peas come into season, make this simple and wholesome soup to comfort you on a cold day. Unlike other soup recipes, it does not require cream, and it uses up the pea pods that are usually thrown away.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 16 minutes
• 3 cups green pea skins
• 2 tbsp green peas
• 1 tsp butter
• 1/4 cup chopped onions
• 1 cup milk
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) to taste
• Heat the butter in a pressure cooker, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
• Add the green peas’ skins and the green peas, mix well and cook on a medium flame for a few minutes.
• Add the milk and ¼ cup of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
• Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. It may look like the milk has curdled, but that’s the way it’s supposed to be.
• Let it cool completely and once cooled, blend in a mixer till smooth.
• Strain the mixture using a strainer and transfer into a deep non-stick pan.
• Add ¼ cup of water, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for a few minutes, while stirring occasionally.
• Serve hot.